Friday, November 23, 2007

Th..th...th..that's all folks

Well, this is my last CW blog entry as a commuter. From today I am no longer a Connex customer! Seven years of commuting hell end today.

I can't even begin to estimate how many times I've stood in the platform at Flinders Street dreaming about not being subservient to the whims of Connex and their complete lack of customer service. Despite the improvements in recent times there's still a long long way to go. And thankfully I'm no longer affected by them. So despite the sense of sadness at the end of far and away the best job I ever had (which is the only reason I've put up with Connex for so long) there is at least one silver lining.

While I'm in not really thinking about my next job yet, I am determined that it will be somewhere that I can sensibly drive to. Now I know that's not the best thing for the environment, but I've done my share over the last seven years and my level of commitment to public transport has been way too one-sided. Until I start to see some commitment from our elected representatives, in the shape of serious public transport policy and planning, I'm afraid I'm going back to being part of the problem.

All the best to those who continue to be locked in to an ongoing Connex relationship.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't blame you for wanting to drive I wish I never needed connex again ever.

25 November, 2007 11:38  
Blogger Connex Whinger said...

Having broken the dependence on Connex, I'm already feeling more relaxed.

No work pressures, no study pressures, no Connex commuting... does life get any better than this?!

27 November, 2007 09:58  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey CW,

Not sure exactly what happened but good luck to you in your future endeavours.

I, too am looking for work as the wheel of retrenchment fun gets closer and closer.

You can only put up with so many weeks/months of varying end dates, agreements and promises before you need to take your career in your own hands and move on.

All the best,

Chris

27 November, 2007 16:05  
Blogger Connex Whinger said...

Thanks Chris, hopefully whatever you end up doing doesn't require the use of Connex trains!

03 December, 2007 12:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The RACV/Connex/privatisation/moronic coalition has won the battle against many commuters. They won't against me.

Good on you CW.

04 December, 2007 09:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The biggest problem with public transport in Melbourne is the roads lobby and weak, narrow-sighted politicians. If all of the billions that have been poured into new road projects was invested in public transport, things would improve a lot. But no politicians have got the guts to do what's right and stand up to the vicroads/RACV monopoly, which is running the state.

06 December, 2007 22:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How is life without Connex shaping up now CW? Are you starting to miss it yet? 30+ temps tomorrow, I wonder how that will go. Bet there will be problems.

13 December, 2007 09:54  
Blogger Ben Courtice said...

So when is your new "road rage whinger" or "traffic jam whinger" blog opening? I've only recently returned to occasional use of PT (bus and train, mainly) after about 4 years where I almost exclusively used car or bicycle... I gotta say, it's gotten heaps worse. On the other hand the roads are getting worse too. Try the Western Ring Road in peak hour -- I don't recommend it!

19 December, 2007 20:01  
Blogger PTA All the way said...

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,22966262-2761,00.html

Just a nice link to show the Vic Government what a top job WA did on building new infrastructure. "Forward Planning" now theres a idea.

27 December, 2007 00:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Graffiti on North Melbourne
This is what I found today! Pity after all this year connex still sucks...


http://imageupload.com/out.php/t120907_Photo052308002.jpg

"Less trains, Lots of people. You cant Breath. THE GOVERNMENT NEEDS 2 PUT MoRE MonEY ON TRains... NOT ON ROADS"


http://imageupload.com/out.php/i120908_Photo052308003.jpg

"We want John Howard back ASAP"

23 May, 2008 19:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melbourne is 17th on one partiuclar "Most Liveable Cities" list. Sad thing is, even the civic leaders who are denouncing the list and saying we should be higher are saying that one glaring negative is public transport. it's gotten so bad that it is just a given now. Yes the roads are just as bad, but at least in my car I'm not standing the whole way, squashed up against six other people!

11 June, 2008 15:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home